Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Introduction to Vancouver's Public Art Program 2

As part of my University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee summer 2010  graduate course Sustainable Cities: Vancouver I decided to follow my interests in the art world and discover how the city of Vancouver has  included art in its city planning and development.  My class was eight days and stayed for twelve.  I practically wore down a pair shoes walking around the the city trying to document as much public art as I could within that time.  Afterward I travelled to the American coast cities of Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco in hopes of seeing what type of art they have on display and to discover how their art programs operate so I can take that knowledge and apply what I see as hits and misses here as a planner here in Wisconsin.

Since 1990, Vancouver has been bringing art to public spaces and operating a public arts program as part of city development, commissioning original contemporary artwork of all forms from artists to display in the public spaces of the city.  The city works with emerging and established artists, in both new and traditional styles, as well as stand-alone commissions and artist collaborations.

Two ways the city includes contemporary art practices into the city planning development is through either their civic or private programs.  Both programs are overseen by the city's Cultural Services department.  The civic program sees that projects at any city-owned space like civic buildings, greenways, parks, and any public space are being developed and operated.  The private program depends upon the funding of developments in the private sector.  Similar to other cities "Percent for Art" programs, any new private development over 100,000 square feet are required to donate $1.81 (2009 rate) per buildable foot to go towards an art installation in the public area of the development.

Vancouver is using its public art program in order to allow artists to express the the spirit, values, vision, and harmony of the city.  Art makes the city become alive through expression and creates a focal points for human activity and thought within the urban scale.  In other words, any new and interesting art on display will get people's attention and make the city bustle with life and vigor.  A city without any new art will be perceived by many as culturally and socially stagnant.  A city develops  community, pride, cohesion, and identity through the creative expressions it commissions.  They can push traditional community values, or make a tough spot in urban areas more appealing.

Nine volunteers appointed by the City Council make up Vancouver's Public Art Committee.  Those in this group are given the opportunity to oversee and guide the arts program.  The group consists of at least two artists, five members  from the art field at large, an architect, a landscape architect, a developer, and some citizen.  They guide where the city's art program is going, but actually don't pick out the artwork.  They manage the public process and panels that do.  They advise the City Council and Parks Board on public art issues.

The public can get involved in the process by direct public participation through meetings and panels through becoming an appointee on the committee, and through money matters when brought up by city council or through private sector development.

Right now the city has several incredible art programs with public artworks on display across the city.  As part of the 2010 Olympics and Paralympics,the city is hosting many pieces of artwork that display the spirit and values of the city during and after the winter games.  In another program, the Biennale, the city is hosting a program of temporary and intriguing public art displays that change every two years.  Then at Science World there is a exhibition of the Cool Globes, in which artists create statements about global environmental issues with over-sized globes as their canvases.  And finally, The InTransitBC rail lines is celebrating transit through art promotions at their stations as part of their Canada Line Public Art Program.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how I came in contact with Mr Pedro after I lost my sawmill job and was denied a loan by my bank and other financial institutions due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. Furthermore, I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then I set out to seek funds online where I read about Mr Pedro helping people with a loan online in which this email was stated (pedroloanss@gmail.com) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convinced because of what I have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme at a very low interest rate of 2% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I had no choice than to also contact them, which I did. Mr Pedro responded back to me. That day was the best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when I received a credit alert for the $400,000.00 USD loan amount I applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a sawmill business, and today my kids and I are so happy and fulfilled. You can also contact them through email: (pedroloanss@gmail.com Or WhatsApp: +18632310632) Why am I doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Oleksander Artem from Horizon Park BC, Ukraine

    ReplyDelete